Please note that masks are required to enter the Health + Counseling Offices.
In This Section
A Message to the Community from Bard Counseling Services Staff
We, the Bard Counseling staff, want to add our voices in expressing grief, sorrow and compassion to all those who have been impacted by the race-based tragedies that have been occurring across our nation. These tragedies reflect a longstanding and entrenched history of structural and systemic injustice that we condemn and are dedicated to addressing. We believe that intolerance, hatred and institutional racism have no place in our community or our nation.
While these tragedies can be traumatizing for all of us, we recognize that they may be especially injurious to members of our Black and African-American community. As mental health professionals and members of a diverse and caring college community, we stand in solidarity with the people of color in our community and across the nation.
In addition to the counseling services that our office offers, we are sending a message and a list of resources recently created by Bard student Tatyana Rozetta '21, "Mental Health Resources for Black Folk." Also, "Anti-racism Resources for White People."
With love and solidarity,
—The Bard Counseling Staff
Tamara Telberg, Larry Cerecedes, Laura MacDonald, Mirelva Colon,
Sherry Ou-yang, Dan Sullivan, and Clara Mixco
COVID-19 and Mental Health
- From the CDC, Mental Health and Coping during COVIVD-19
- From SAMHSA (Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Coping with Stress during Infectious Disease Outbreaks
- From the New York Times, A Brain Hack to Break the Coronavirus Anxiety Cycle
- From the Conversation, 7 Science-Based Strategies to Cope with Coronavirus Anxiety
- From Thrive Global, 6 Ways to Protect Yourself and Your Family from Anxiety about the Coronavirus
- From Yoga Journal, Stressed about Coronavirus? Here’s How Yoga Can Help
- From Mindful, How Mindfulness Can Help You Navigate the Coronavirus Panic
- From Lizzo, A Meditation and Mantra to Promote Global Healing (30m)
- From the New York Times,How to Reduce Your Risk of PTSD in a Post-Covid-19 World
BIPOC Mental Health, Racialized Trauma and Healing
- Therapy for Black Girls Podcast, A Guide to Start Therapy and Much More
- Resmaa Menakem, Trauma Therapist, Racialized Trauma Interview
- The 730 Podcast, Black Bard Alum on Mental Health, other Topics
- From the CDC, Stigma and Resilience
- Ourselves Black Stories and images to promote Black mental health.
- BEAM (Black Emotional and Mental Health Collective) Video Practicing Presence While Black: Tips and Tools to Manage Anxiety
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America Mental Health Resources for the Black Community
- Melanin and Mental Health Podcast Everything You Need To Know About Mental Health And Communities Of Color.
- Depressed While Black Facebook Page Shares Mental Health Stories from an African-American Lens
- Black Men and Mental Health Resources and Help for Black Men in the Search for a Culturally Competent Therapist
LGBTQ and Other Resources
- New NYS hotline - to connect with a mental health professional 24/7 call 844-863-9314
- Mental Health Association Self-Screening Tools Take a Mental Health Test
- Tara Brach Meditation, Teaching, Q&A Transforming Your Relationship with Anxiety
- Yoga for Anxiety with Adriene, 20 Minute Yoga Video
- Mental Health for LGBTQ Trevor Project Mental Health Resources
- Coming Out Guide for LGBTQ Youth Trevor Project Resource
- From HeadSpace, New York State of Mind, A special NY collection of meditation, sleep, and movement exercises are here to support you through stressful and challenging times
- From the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, Taking Care of Your Mental Health in the Face of Uncertainty
- From Onbeing, A Listening Care Package for Uncertain Times (a collection of podcasts and poetry)
- From Yo-Yo Ma, Songs of Comfort
- From NPR and Spotify, A Playlist with 6 Hours of Soothing Music